Computer Systems Technology is an interdisciplinary curriculum that provides a background in computer technology, software, programming, information imaging, and other industry-related technologies.
- Apply the fundamental concepts of digital/analog signals and electronics to computer systems, networking, and media.
- Use specifications and applications of computer components, network devices, and media in network administration.
- Configure network operating systems and manageable network devices.
- Design database interfaces and utilize basic programming techniques for business applications.
- Use project management techniques to develop solutions, and address business issues to meet client needs.
The Computer Systems Technology major requires students to complete 75 hours. These hours are divided into three sections: General Education, Computer Systems Technology Core, and Electives. To learn more about each course, the prerequisites and any additional degree requirements, we suggest going to the Illinois State University Catalog.
The following information is for students who are in the 2021-2022 catalog.
Sample 4-Year Plan of Study
CST Major Sheet
General Education Courses - Required
- CHE 102 Chemistry and Society
- MAT 120 Finite Mathematics
- MQM 100 Statistical Reasoning
- PHY 105 Fundamentals of Physics
- PSY 110 Fundamentals of Psychology
Computer Systems Technology Core - Required
- TEC 100 Professional Development in Technology
- TEC 143 Introduction to Electronics for Data Communication
- TEC 151 Introduction to Computer Systems Technology
- TEC 243 Computer Networking Systems
- TEC 244 Digital Electronics
- TEC 245 Applications of Operating Systems
- TEC 270 Managing Technological Systems
- TEC 283 Information & Imaging Technologies
- TEC 284 Technical Computer Applications
- TEC 313 Quality Systems for Technology
- TEC 319 Graphical Software Interfaces
- TEC 320 Project Management
- TEC 330 Applied Economic Analysis for Technologists
- TEC 378 E-Commerce
- TEC 383 Telecommunications Technology
- TEC 390 Computer Systems Applications
Electives - 12 hours required
- TEC 116 Introduction to Technical Drawing and Constraint Based Solid Modeling
- TEC 152 Digital Media Applications
- TEC 216 Constraint Based Solid Modeling & Production Drawings
- TEC 250 Graphic Media Composition
- TEC 348 Selected Topics in Computer Systems Technology
- TEC 358 E-Publishing Management
- TEC 370 Supply Chain Logistics
- TEC 398 Professional Practice
- IT 168 Structured Problem Solving Using The Computer
- IT 178 Computer Applications Programming
- IT 254 Hardware & Software Concepts
- IT 251 Systems Development
- IT 262 Information Technology Project Management