The Sustainable & Renewable Energy curriculum is designed to provide students with a broad understanding of energy management concepts and the roles played by renewable resources.
The curriculum was reviewed by sustainable & renewable energy experts and potential employers on our Advisory Board to ensure that its scope and depth will result in graduates that are highly trained and knowledgeable.
- Describe the physical laws and resources that constrain our energy systems.
- Define the operation of renewable energy systems in terms of basic electrical and physical principles.
- Apply basic business, economic, and technical management principles in a variety of technical and non-technical contexts.
- Explain and defend a personal position on energy / political / social issues.
- Design residential and commercial solar photovoltaic (PV) systems using renewable energy software.
- Analyze wind data using professional software.
- Optimize renewable energy business decision-making.
- Develop a business case for a commercial renewable energy project.
The Sustainable & Renewable Energy major requires students to complete 69 hours. Students will develop expertise in an interdisciplinary core of subjects fundamental to renewable energy as well as more in-depth studies in a related minor.
To learn more about each course, the prerequisites, and any additional degree requirements, review the Illinois State University Catalog.
The following information is for students in the 2021-2022 catalog.
4-Year Sample Plan of Study
SRE Major Sheet
General Education Courses - Required
- CHE 102 Chemistry and Society
- HSC 156 Environmental Health
- MAT 120 Finite Mathematics
- MQM 100 Statistical Reasoning
- PHY 105 Fundamentals of Physics
- PHY 207 Energy and The Environment
- PSY 110 Fundamentals of Psychology
Sustainable & Renewable Energy Core - Required
- AGR 225 Renewable Energy and Agriculture
- ECO 105 Principles of Economics
- ECO 236 Economics of Energy and Public Policy
- GEO 211 Earth's Dynamic Weather
- TEC 100 Professional Development in Technology
- TEC 111 Fundamentals of Power Technology
- TEC 160 Introduction to Renewable Energy Systems
- TEC 258 Renewable Energy Technology Applications
- TEC 259 Power Generation: Production, Conversion and Storage
- TEC 260 Research and Analytical Tools in Renewable Energy
- TEC 262 Energy Planning and Management from Buildings to Communities
- TEC 270 Managing Technological Systems
- TEC 360 Renewable Energy Capstone - Project Presentation Videos
Sustainable & Renewable Energy Electives - 6 Hours Required
- TEC 116 Introduction to Technical Drawing and Constraint Based Solid Modeling
- TEC 117 Construction Graphics
- TEC 217 Building Information Modeling
- TEC 320 Project Management
- TEC 370 Supply Chain Logistics
- TEC 398.02 Internship
- FIL 185 Legal Environment of Business
- SOC 330 Society and Environment
Students will be required to choose a minor from the following: